David was born, raised and educated in his native Yorkshire. In 1968 he came to live and work in Luton and pursued an academic career in social science and medical statistics at the Universities of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire, retiring in 2011. He has sung with choirs and played the piano for most of his life, though it is only in the recent past that he has been invited to direct local choirs. He has been involved with a Luton High School Chamber Choir and Vauxhall Male Voice Choir, but now works exclusively with the Parkside Singers. Outside music, his main interests include ballroom dancing with his wife Hilary, cooking, and golf. Their three daughters live locally and are also involved in local music including singing together as The Stott Sisters.
David Stott - Musical Director
Helen Wingate - Deputy Musical Director
The Parkside Singers are indeed fortunate to have James as their accompanist! James is a professional pianist with many years of experience accompanying choirs and studied the organ at the Royal Academy of Music. He has held successive appointments as organist at All Saints, Parish Church of St. Mary, and currently at St Luke’s Church in Luton. James is now a full time musician and is in great demand as a concert soloist and accompanist for solo singers. A few years ago, he received the honour of being one of the few people invited to play on the famous Willis Organ at Alexandra Palace.
James Banville - Accompanist
Meet the Musical Team
Our choir members come from all walks of life, areas and age groups.
We enjoy singing four-part harmonies and would love to entertain you.
We belong to the National Association of Choirs and our fees are very reasonable.
Helen spent her childhood in Bedfordshire taking part in the Bedfordshire County Youth Orchestras. She later studied cello and piano at Trinity College of Music, London for four years, followed by a PGCE in Secondary Music. After her degrees, Helen taught music in various Bedfordshire Schools, with only one move outside of the county to Staffordshire, where she became an Assistant Headteacher.
Throughout her teaching career, Helen conducted many Musicals and school concerts.
Helen now runs her own business making vegan cakes, but still enjoys being involved in music.
Parkside Singers (of Ampthill) Adult Community SATB choir will remain compliant with GDPR 2018.
1. Member data will be used for the operation of the Choir ONLY. Your data will not leave the choir.
2. Member data will be used for the following purposes (this list is exemplary not exhaustive):-
• Membership administration including Social events admin. (e.g. Annual Dinner), and managing what choir-owned music is held by each chorister.
• Concert/event/competition organisation and logistics; Choir internal information dissemination; e.g. memos, notices, music-lists etc.
• Rehearsal attendance logging & choir member welfare.
• Any Patron/Customer-mail-listee information is held by the Secretary for concert/event admin/information.
3. Obtaining Data/Image Consent will be continuous: at joining and annually thereafter. Images (photo or video) may be used after consent in any/all of:
WP publicity; Website; Facebook page and Twitter feed.
4. When a member leaves the choir - after the return of the choir’s sheet-music and uniform items - the member's Personal Data will be deleted within a reasonable time.
5. No sensitive data is or will be held. The Choir is Adult only. The Choir has no Vulnerable adults, but committee can designate a qualified CPVAO when required.
6. Members/Patrons/Customers may request a copy of personal data held from the Secretary for verification.
The Parkside Singers (of Ampthill) are a not-for-profit Adult Community SATB choir run by an annually elected management committee.
The scrutinised accounts are opened to inspection annually at the public AGM (January), and policies are continually reviewed during periodic (generally quarterly) committee meetings.